Friday, March 5, 2010

This Too Shall Pass





You know how it goes - you go to an auto repair shop hoping that the news you receive will fit in your budget, and of course it never does. Four digit car repairs are never good and I've already had my share for this vehicle.


CARS - why are they so expensive?


I absolutely love my car, I spend over two hours a day in it. I service it faithfully and keep it pretty clean inside and out. I must admit I do have discriminating taste when it comes to vehicles that I drive. To me, there really is a difference and my loyalty to a particular brand comes purely from experience of accidents I've been in. Being able to walk away from a totaled vehicle is a good thing, to have done it twice is exceptional.


I keep telling myself this to put it all in perspective so when the Service Writer comes over with his clipboard and the estimate of the repair I can smile and say, "No problem, go right ahead." Except today my debit card made me say, "I'll think about it."


Funny thing is, what is there to think about? My vehicle is broken, needs repair and the longer I wait the more painful the final tally can be. A friend of mine swears that the prices change according to gender. I think an estimate is done by the book. I know an auto repair shop changes exorbitant hourly rates and the job is quoted by flat rate. With my luck, the auto tech is usually done way before the book time.


Has my income tax check been deposited yet?




1 comment:

  1. My rule these days is that if the motor or the transmission goes, the car goes - I've had so many experiences of fixing one, only to have the other go soon after.

    ReplyDelete