Monday, April 5, 2010

Printer Soup


Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against HP. They make some of the most dependable printers around. In twelve years I'm only on my 3rd HP printer at home. But.....to be honest with you I don't know what the deal is with the printer at work.


It all started first thing in the morning when - of course - I needed to print something. My cyan print cartridge needed to be replaced - easy enough I thought. As you can see from the photo it turned out to be more - much more than one ink cartridge. Once I changed the cyan ink, a light on the printer indicated that my print head needed to be changed. So, I decided I would change them all since it had been a while. I also noticed very little ink left in the other three remaining cartridges, so I figured what the hell!


~Printer Overload~

Every single light that could be on starting blinking and a blank page was spit out towards me with gusto. I turned the machine off, and back on all to no avail. It would start to shimmy and shake like a car going 50 MPH on a bad rim. After about a minute (which seemed like five) it just spit out another blank page. And...this went on and on until I became so frustrated I finally shut it off for the rest of the day. This printer definitely had an attitude.


The next day I decided to update the printer's drivers and firmware. After many unsuccessful attempts I was ready to throw in the towel. Little did I care that I just installed over $225 in print cartridges and print heads. It finally dawned on me to take out the print heads then to try updating the firmware. Lo and behold...it worked and my printer was up. YAY!

Why this silly idea worked, I don't know? I calibrated all the print heads and wouldn't you know?

Cyan is not working.

No comments:

Post a Comment